Wednesday, March 18, 2015

WordPress CSS Changes Not Updating

WordPress CSS Changes Not Updating – If you have a wordpress blog/website and you update something in style.css file you might notice that sometimes the update doesn’t show on your browsers instantly though you cleared your browser cookies. It happened to me several days ago when I tried to enlarge my blog posts font size.


Prior editing formats.css file to enlarge my blog posts font size I ensured that I needed to work on formats.css file, not the style.css file (my blog’s font size is defined in formats.css). I found this with the help of my chrome browser by selecting some words of a post and then clicking right mouse->Inspect element. Please check the following image. It showed me which file I needed to edit (in this case formats.css, not the style.css). You can see in the formats.css file, line-height was 22px and font-size was 14 px.


wordpress css changes not updating


After that I logged into my wordpress admin panel and went to Appearance->Editor section and clicked on formats.css file. I checked 204 line and made the changes. Here was the edit:


css edit


Please note, I changed line-height from 22px to 26 px and font size from 14px to 15px. Then I saved the file and cleared my browser cookies and refresh the page but I couldn’t see any differences. I did check on other browsers e.g. Firefox, IE, Safari but all were showing same old result. I was confused and searched on Google to find a solution. After reading some blog posts I found out that it was not the wordpress css issue. The issue was from my web hosting provider: Fatcow.com


Fatcow.com automatically enable web cache for any website that’s hosted on their server. Here was my website’s web cache status:


Default Cache Set Up in Fatcow Control Panel by SEO Blog


So if your website/blog is hosted on Fatcow then you have to make sure that you have turned caching off to see instant changes on your website after editing the style.css or formats.css file. A web cache is a system for the momentary storage (caching) of web files or documents, such as HTML web pages as well as graphics or images, to cut back server load, bandwidth usage, and perceived lag.


Please carefully read all the following steps as you will learn how to turn off the cache from your web hosting control panel.


Step 1: Go to Fatcow.com, click control panel and input your username, password to log in


Fatcow Control Panel Login by SEO Blog


Step 2: After the login process you need to find “Web Cache Control Tool“. You can find it under “Additional Tools” section, click on that icon.


Web Cache Control Tool by SEO Blog


Step 3: Now you need to check radio button (Under Don’t Cache) of HTML, CSS, Script, Images and then click on “Save Changes” button.


Turn Cache Off & Click on Save Changes by SEO Blog


Step 4: Clear your browser cookie.


Clear Browser Cache by SEO Blog


Step 5: Refresh the webpage. You will see the changes!


See how easy this is? I wasted 4-5 hours to find this solution and when I did I thought I should share this with you. Please turn on the cache from your web hosting control panel after you check the changes on your website as it will help your website to load faster for your website visitors who didn’t clear their browser cookies.


Hope you enjoy reading this post. If you find this helpful please feel free to share your experience in comments.

Disclaimer: This post and all the contents published here first published on SEO-Service-Provider.org. We are sharing this post here so that more and more people could get help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be reviewed by stuff. Don't spam here!